There is no better way to connect than to work with the amazing Kenyan children and our LRC Team.
Do you feel called to see the work of Kenya Connect first hand and to meet the students and children in Wamunyu? Kenya Connect team members lead trips on an annual basis (usually in May, June or July). The main focus of our trips is to work with teachers and students. Highlights of past trips include:
- Taught lessons at Kenya Connect partner schools (primarily literacy and subject content areas)
- Assisted with deworming and hygiene lessons at partner schools
- Provided a medical team that held two clinics at schools including the Special Needs preparation
- Performed professional development workshops for teachers targeted toward reading, literacy, kinesthetic learning and national exams
- Created a composting system for the LRC and taught how to replicate it at the partner schools
- Assisted with the technology at the LRC including networking the computers
- Helped create the design for the hand washing stations installed at partner schools
- Installed the LRC Library and catalog system
- Provided workshops for secondary school students on career opportunities and college preparation
- Provided leadership development and team building in secondary schools
- Built relationships through song, dance and discussion.
- Assisted with Library Day and Parent Literacy Program.
- Created film and Media Projects for Kenya Connect.
- Assisted in eye screening and the distribution of glasses.
- Provided Yoga classes
Interested in sharing your talents with students and teachers in rural Wamunyu? Looking to learn from educators working in the village? We invite you to contact Sharon@kenyaconnect.org Volunteer trips also include visits to Market Day, The Woodcarvers Coop and a Homestead.